Here are some exercises to integrate into your exercise routine to keep your muscles supple and your
- 1. Squats: A fundamental exercise that targets your quads, hamstrings,and glutes. Start with bodyweight squats and gradually introduce weights as you build strength. I started doing 10 squats each morning and within ten days I progressed from huffing and puffing and struggling to bouncing up and down like a ten-year-old. And I no longer make those blowing-out noises when I stand up from sitting down. Result!
- 2. Lunges: Great for working the muscles in your legs and hips. Try variations such as forward, backward, and lateral lunges to engage different muscle groups. If you do yoga, you’re potentially doing plenty of lunges already.
- 3. Push-Ups: An excellent exercise to build upper body strength, focusing on the chest, shoulders, and triceps. Modify as needed, starting with wall push-ups or knee push-ups as you build strength. Again, the yogis have the advantage here as any yoga class I’ve ever done has included plenty of this kind of exercise.
- 4. Planks: Strengthen your core with planks, which can also help to improve posture and stability. Did I mention yoga…?
- 5. Bicep Curls: Focus on your biceps by incorporating curls with light weights, gradually increasing as you build strength. A friend of mine told me she keeps her dumbbells on the desk beside her as she works and when she takes a little break she does some bicep curls – great idea!
- 6. Tricep Dips: Target the triceps with dips, which can be done on a stable chair or bench. A short weights workout on YouTube will also usually include triceps work. Here’s one of my favourite channels: https://youtube.com/@LiftwithCee
- 7. Deadlifts: A full-body exercise that targets your lower back, glutes, and hamstrings. Start with a light weight and focus on proper form to avoid injury. Best done at a gym with a trainer at first, to make sure you’re doing it properly.